Not Burda for a change: Butterick 5600

Thursday 13 December 2012
Whilst I'm immensely proud of myself for keeping up with my Burda a month challenge, it does feel like all I'm ever sewing these days are Burda patterns.  I have a few non Burda patterns on my to do list, but they keep getting pushed back each month when the new magazine arrives.  But since I'm still trying to decide on the fabric for the December Burda dress, I decided to make view c (the green dress) of Butterick 5600 which has been on my list for ages because it's a breastfeeding friendly dress:


Aside from the button up front, I like the longer sleeves with the button tab, the collar band and the waist ties.  Too bad then that I picked a fabric that pretty much hid all of those details!  I used a cotton poplin with a small black and white small floral print from the stash which is a good summer weight fabric for a simple summer dress, but the print was far too busy for any of those details to be obvious:


I did think about making the collar band and front band in a plain white fabric to contrast with the dress, but the print is actually a creamy white and all the white fabrics I had were too stark to match properly.  I then thought about putting some piping around the edge of the collar band and front band, but it was the same issue really with the mismatch in colours.

This is the perfect summer dress for me: the longer sleeves and higher neckline give me the sun protection I need but since it's made from cotton poplin it's still cool enough to wear on a hot day.  These photos were taken after I came home from a playgroup christmas party - two hours of standing around holding Toby (who is still sick and clingy) whilst being in the middle of a horde of small kids around a table of far too sugary foods, a jumping castle and a token dad dressed up as Santa handing out presents on a very hot day and it still looks pretty good!  Admittedly I did brush my hair to take this photo, but the dress remained pretty much uncrumpled.

And the dress is very practical, with two in-seam pockets.  I used to hate side pockets on my clothes because it adds bulk to a place where don't require any more bulk thanks to my saddlebag thighs, but these days practicality wins out and pockets are always useful these days to carry around the bits and pieces that are needed with small children (just got to remember to take those tissues out before washing!):



That side view isn't too flattering, but as you've all pointed out in the past in real life we don't often stand around posing like our photographs! Overall though, I'm pretty happy with this dress, and it works really well for nursing.  I only had to unbutton the top two buttons to be able to feed so there wasn't acres of skin on display.  It is a simple style and easy to sew, but it seemed to take ages because of all the little pieces involved and my inability to sew on the waistband casing straight twice.  If I make this again I would probably use a solid fabric and do a ton of topstitching around those bands, and maybe lengthen the sleeve a little so that it is a real folded up sleeve with a button tab instead of it being hemmed to the length of the tab.

The funniest bit about taking these photos is that Anna insisted on having her photo taken too, and then she proceeded to pose just like I had been! Her mannerisms are so grown up sometimes it's scary:


  

16 comments:

  1. I've had this one on my list too - I've been apprehensive about working with all those buttonholes and the overall fit on me. I like your fabric choice. It looks very nice and comfy ~ I think I'll try it soon. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice practical dress. I love that fabric and it's done a good job if that's after a 2 hr Christmas party! Isn't Anna tall! She looks so grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty black/white dress. It looks very nice on you. Oh, and you have quite the little fashionista there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress looks great! Some day I want to see a picture of your closet. I just have 4 dresses in mine, and 2 don't even fit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice dress Kristie. How about piping in the bright green or red? That would have shown up and matching colors not such a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this pattern too and am anxious to make it as well. So glad to read your notes on it. I love the fabric you chose. Sounds like the perfect summer dress for all the reasons you described. Anna is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when Anna is posing! My daughter likes to pose too, as all little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like Anna will be a great blogger soon.
    I love the fabric you've used on this dress and your backayard looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look a very stylish breast feeding mum - a tricky combination. Glad little Toby is better - summer colds seem worse that winter ones - you feel hot on the inside while it is really hot outside too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great little summer frock! I like it with the green sandals too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the dress ad little miss Anna is growing up! She's so tall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is my style of dress. Simple like a t-shirt dress. Have a great Christmas Kristy!!! Hope it's a great day for all of you.

    I have a Mem Fox book giveaway if you'd like to enter it:
    www.allthingsmum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your new dress and think the style would also suit you with a collar stand. Love Anna's poses. Sign her up with Brent Street!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great dress! It must indeed be very practical - I love those button tabs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great dresses, and Anna is adorable in her new party dresses. Love your bf-friendly dress. I admire your motivation to get things done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops this is Katharine in Brussels and not my husband :)

    ReplyDelete