unblocked

Wednesday 22 August 2012
Unblocked.  A rather indelicate phrase isn't it? In my mind it conjures up images of old people talking coyly and abstractly about laxatives in tv advertisements, or the absolute vileness that is the gunk that blocks up the s-bend under your kitchen sink.  But it also describes the unblocking, finally, of my sewing mojo which has been in short supply of late.

Ordinarily I do a bit of sewing each day - sometimes a little bit or sometimes a lot, but the continuity and incremental work is I think the best way to keep on top of my projects.  But the past two weeks or so I've barely stepped into my sewing room.  I've been so exhausted it's hard to just get off the lounge.  Not just sleepy, but absolutely bone tired exhausted with aching muscles and joints.  It didn't help that I recently won a Kindle (yay me!) and I've been rediscovering the classics like Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters. I followed that up with a nice day snuggled on the lounge watching the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice.

But after a discussion with a friend followed up with a consultation with Dr Google, I've discovered that muscle and joint pain is quite common in breastfeeding new mums.  Something to do with the hormones in the body that relax the joints in preparation for childbirth remaining while breastfeeding.  So I've started taking glucosamine supplements, had a massage and a long hot bath and already I feel like a new person.  I've even cleaned up my sewing room in anticipation of the prolific output that I'm about to produce!

Another delightful thing to happen recently was the parcel I received in the mail from the lovely Steph, a reader in New Zealand.  She had bought the wrong sized pattern and offered to send it to me, but when it arrived it came with another pattern and two cute boy themed prints which was a wonderful surprise.  Thanks again Steph!


I also stepped out of my comfort zone and bought this bold striped ponti fabric from Spotlight during their recent 30% off everything sale.  I bought enough fabric to make a dress, but when I got it home and draped it around myself I'm not so sure I'll be confident enough to wear such a bright dress.  Maybe I'll take the easier option and make a skirt instead. What do you all think: too much?


I did a bit of opshopping last week too, the first time in ages since I've been on a major declutter phase and have been dropping bags of goods off but not bringing anything home.  Luckily I didn't buy too much, just a few cute kid's sewing patterns but I did find this hilarious craft book that I just had to buy:


Gotta love the 1970s and that classic "lovers" picture!  

And the best thing to happen this week is that Toby has finally figured out how to roll back from his stomach to his back.  He is quick to roll over from his back to his front, but after about 5 minutes he starts to whinge loudly and needs rolling back like a stuck turtle - I guess holding up that big head of his takes a fair bit of effort! (Mean but true, just check out the photo below).  But now he can sort himself out, just like a neglected second child needs to learn.  Just kidding.




18 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you are on the mend, so to speak. It's really annoying when the body won't keep up with what you want to do, isn't it!! Looking forward to seeing your next sewing projects. Toby is looking very cute, and growing up too! Re the ponti stripe fabric, I would personally limit the fabric to a skirt, but then I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes dressing in the brighter shades. Love the fabric though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about a sleeveless dress so you don't feel so overwhelmed. I really like it and think it will look good on you. You are not allowed to chicken out before you even try it. Toby is starting to look like Anna more and more each photo - and big heads hold big brains, trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear you are doing better. Oh goodness, this little wombat is getting more adorable each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean! I, too, am breastfeeding and as a new mom, wasn't sure what all those aches are all about. Glad to know I'm not the only one! My back to sewing project was a little dress for my little girl. I will get back to sewing for myself, but for now, I don't want to deal with my "changed shape" :)

    Recently posted: http://thelittleironpress.blogspot.ca/2012/08/little-baby-things.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I don't think it's too much... but if you think it is, you can make a skirt and wear it with a black or neutral top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard sometimes to figure out what we will and won't wear fabric wise. But like Janice said... make a skirt or a jacket and a skirt and wear them separately. Or even something for Anna? Just a thought.... and little guy is sure growing fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear you are back sewing. I think a nice sheath dress coupled with a navy jacket would look very classy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the striped ponte. I'll send you a photo tonight of a 60's couture jacket made from very similar fabric from Liz Taylor's auction. I would do a dress, but if you don't feel the jacket is you, a skirt teamed with a black top would work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely a dress! sleeveless is good so you can wear coloured jackets and cardi's with it. everyone needs at least one bright stripey item in their wardrobe.
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of a dress (but my introvert self would struggle with it), it's great fabric. Glad to hear your mojo is starting to fire up again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that fabric! I saw some great pencil skirts in ponte knit in the shops during the week (but not as nice as your fabric) and they looked fantastic. Toby is looking super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd go all out and go for a dress - it's such fabulous fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the print and don't think it would be too much at all for a dress. And yay for your Toby! My 14 month old son has a big head too, I love it. It's really cute when he runs, because it looks like it throws him off balance a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really have to make that silhouette thread art. Glad you're feeling a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the stripe fabric would look wonderful as a sleeveless dress. You can wear a cardi with it to tone it down, if you want.

    Baby is sure growing, and he's just tooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to hear you're getting your energy back! I'm still amazed you're doing sewing and blogging at all with a baby and a toddler... I definitely vote dress for that fabric - although how about colour-blocking it with a solid? That would mean you get the dress look, but can ease into wearing a bold pattern all over? PS I'm looking forward to what thread art appears on your blog shortly...!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute baby! Also that stripe fabric would look good made into New Look 6095 view a or Simplicity 2189 view a.

    ReplyDelete