Burda of the month: 6/2012 #102

Tuesday 28 August 2012
I found it quite hard to pick something to make out of the June issue, because none of the patterns either caught my eye or suit my lifestyle at this point in time.  In fact if it weren't for this self imposed challenge I probably wouldn't have made anything at all, so it's good that I am doing this challenge and so far sticking with it!  I originally planned to make this asymmetrical blazer:
which I really like the look of and may one day sew, but it is a little too formal for my current stay at home mum lifestyle, and all the fabrics I had in the stash that I thought would be good for this jacket (linen) just wouldn't withstand all the baby slobber on my shoulder that Toby so lovingly deposits all the time!

So I chose to make this simple bomber style jacket instead, 6/2012 #102:



The magazine suggests a lurex jersey, but I'm not sure I've even seen such a fabric let alone have some in my stash.  But since it is still a little bit cold in our parts, I decided to use this ummmm, how to describe it, "unique" quilted fabric that I've had in the stash for ages that I bought at an opshop.  It's one of those fabrics that I can't quite decide whether it's cute or ugly (it's sometimes a fine line isn't it?) but I think it looks alright made up in this pattern:



I decided to play up the folksy feel of the woodland print by wearing this with a corduroy skirt I made a long time ago and a cream skivvy  - does this have a 70s vibe to it or what?

The pattern is super simple, with very little shaping because I guess a lurex jersey would drape and cling better, but this is a rather thin quilted fabric so it's not too bad.  I did leave off the elastic waistband and cuffs for the simple reason that I didn't want it to puff up any more because the Michelin man is not the look I'm going for. 

My verdict: a casual but smart jacket style that is so quick and easy to sew.  If I make this again I would probably take it in a little at the sides and narrow the sleeves to make it a bit more shapely.  I am thinking about making it in a black and white gingham, with black ribbed cuffs, colour and waistband because a friend of mine has a Gstar jacket just like this that looks awesome.  Although now I think about it, is it a little too Single White Female to copy your friend's clothes so slavishly?

Thanks for all your input to the stripey fabric from the last post - I knew all you ladies would have some great ideas.  BeaJay you're absolutely right that navy is the natural pairing for this fabric, I wouldn't have picked it myself but you obviously have a great eye for colour.  I've decided to go for it and make a dress, mainly because I love dresses and I can still buy more of this fabric if I make the wrong choice so there's nothing to be afraid of.  Besides, I thought if I picked a dress like this:



then I could cut it in half and make two separates anyway, so it's a win win.  But since this isn't a breastfeeding friendly dress nor a Burda dress, I'll add it to my to do list so don't expect to see it anytime soon!   

14 comments:

  1. I like your jacket and outfit! And if I didn't copy other people's clothing what would I wear every day?! *LOL* Copy the jacket it sounds really kewl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your jacket. If I saw you walking down the street, I would do a double-take and comment to whomever I was with, "I love that girl's jacket!", and would fantasize about how I could copy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute, and perfect for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since your style is pretty much my style, I like that jacket & that outfit! I'm a big fan of classic lines & simple shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That jacket is waaaaay cooler than the line drawing! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is it that you always seem to pick something out of the magazines that I never really considered sewing and now have to add to my ever-growing must sew projects list? I dismissed this jacket on first viewing of the mag but now I really want to make one. I need a casual black jacket so that I can stop wearing my denim jacket *all* the time and this pattern looks like it would be perfect. Oh, and I love, love, love the fabric you've used.

    If you haven't received your September issue yet, then there is a pattern in it to make a skirt that looks identical to the one you are wearing the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wonderful colours of this jacket would dress up a pair of black pants to perfection. I like it a lot! Can't wait to see the dress in the stripey fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with ReadyThreadSew - you do it and suddenly the project looks like a keeper! LOL! I just started getting the Burda magazine, I might have to give myself the same challenge as you so I don't just collect magazines for nothing!

    Curious, what do you use to trace patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful jacket, and the colours are great on you! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love your new bomber jacket, in that great autumn colour print! It sets off your hair so wonderfully, you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh by the way it's still 31 August here in Brussels :) on the other side of the dateline.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great cozy jacket! I like the bright colors, but you know my taste is not to be trusted with bright prints.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The colours in your jacket complement you very nicely. Love the retro-cool print which is busy enough to hide baby slobber! Leaving out the elastic was a great call. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this jacket. The fabric isn't one that I would necessarily be drawn to, but it looks fabulous made up. You have a great eye for design. I'm also impressed that you are keeping up your Burda Challenge. The skirt you made from the last issue was gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete