I wear what I sew: blue wool suit

Saturday 24 May 2008
I was going to do a post on what I wore during the week to see how many of the clothes I have made I actually wear, picking up the idea from the discussion over on Pattern Review and posts on few other blogs, such as the Lean Mean Sewing Machine and Two On Two Off. I have to say that I actually wear everything I finish (and as you know not everything gets finished!) at least once. Sometimes after an initial wear things may need a little further tweaking (and sometimes those garments end up in the UFO/WIP pile!), but mostly I fix them and wear them again.

But I realise that most of the things I wore last week were made in my pre-blogging days and hence haven't been mentioned here. So instead of one big post, I'd thought I would post them individually so I could give the details about the patterns and fabric for each one.

First up, on Monday I wore this suit I made last year from Vogue 2641, a 2002 Donna Karan pattern which is now OOP. I really love the peplum style, I think it is good style for a pear shape because it was easy to nip in at the waist but flare out to skim over the hips. I also made the matching knee length straight skirt, but with a wider waistband to get that high waistband look. I realise now that I find high waisted clothes very uncomfortable and I plan to take the waistband off and either replace it with a narrow waistband or just with inside facings instead.













Anyway, this is a really great pattern which I have made four times now, so I guess it classifies as a TNT pattern! The fabric in this suit is a wool blend, in a royal blue with black flecks, and a golden thread check running through it, purchased from the Remant Warehouse (which is moving to Botany Road in Alexandria on 2 June for all you Sydneysiders reading this). The button is lovely blue vintage button purchased specially from a shop down in the Rocks called Buttons Buttons Buttons, which as the name suggests sells nothing but buttons, but they literally have thousands to choose from so they are a good spot to pick up something unusual.


On Monday I wore this suit to work with the Burda WoF blouse from my last post, but after I had taken the photo in the last post I had somehow gotten make up on the collar, so I had taken it off to soak before I remembered that I neededto take a photo of the suit. So here it is shown with a RTW top, but in reality Monday's tally was three from three - 100% so far! And the shoes are vintage purchased from ebay, a navy blue leather with cream piping and a silver buckle, which have a low chunky heel that are very comfortable and sensible for those days when I can't bear to squeeze my feet into a real pair of heels!

10 comments:

  1. Oh! I like that suit! Great that you wear what you sew and actually go back & tweak/fix what doesn't work for you.
    -Nneka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely suit. I need some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the bias layout of the peplum...gives the suit distinction! Oh and I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sewing skills are so amazing! I love coming to this site and seeing all your lovely clothes.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely suit.I can see why you've made it a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great suit -- but the very next thing I noticed were the shoes! What brand are they? They are lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am lovin the blow by blow of your wardrobe. The jacket on that suit really stands out. Love it!

    ReplyDelete